Cavaliers CC is the second oldest surviving carnival club in Bridgwater and Somerset. The club was formed in 1937 as the Coronoddies Carnival Club, taking its name from the coronation of King George VI in that very same year.
After the end of the Second World War, the club changed its name to the Golden Lion CC, as its headquarters at the time was the town’s Golden Lion Inn. Due to the closure of the pub in 1980, the club was forced to move on and took residence up at The Crown Inn in St John Street, where the club became known as the Crown Cavaliers CC. Two years later, the club dropped the word Crown and became Cavaliers CC, which they are still known as today.
The club is very much a family affair with many generations being involved. Currently the club has a membership of about 45 people, with ages ranging from 15 to 63 years old.
The club have had some success over the years culminating with winning the county cup in 1966, and after a few years in the doldrums, won some trophies and recognition in 2019 for their entry Left Behind, which was based on the work of the land girls in World War II.
The club fundraise all year round with bingos, stewarding at events, sponsored events, and for the last 30 years have organised the one and only Bridgwater Pram Race.
Cavaliers Carnival Club are always happy to welcome new members, and can be contacted through their Facebook page.
The club is based at The Admirals Landing Pub, The Docks, Bridgwater.