The Crusaders are the oldest surviving carnival club in Bridgwater and indeed the whole of Somerset.
The club was formed in 1935 as The Hope Inn CC. It is in those early years the club won the road with The Jockeys in 1938, and won the stage in 1947 with The Cotton Pickers.
In 1977 the club changed their name to the Crusaders Carnival Club and their headquarters to The Three Crowns Pub. The title of the club’s procession entry for that year was Pageant to Richard the Lionheart – The Crusades – 1189 to 1199.
The club is now based at The Railway Club, Wellington Road, Bridgwater.
There has been a member of The Dodden Family in the club for the past 72 years, with this family connection starting back in 1949.
The club is also twinned and actively involved with St Brelade Battle of Flowers Association – a small group of enthusiastic volunteers who enter Jersey’s Battle of Flowers Carnival Parade annually in August.
Crusaders CC is a popular club which has had its ups and downs over its long and distinguished history. The club members have always known how to enjoy themselves at social and fundraising events, such as organising inflatables at fetes, bingos, stewarding and bar work.
The club consists of approximately 20 full members, 12 life members, plus various vice presidents and helpers.
New members are always welcome, and if you would like to join or find out more about the club, contact Antony Dodden (firstname.lastname@example.org).